06 July 2009

Sweden: The Promised Land of Europe

I recently enjoyed my second trip to the city of Gothenburg, Sweden, where a friend and her husband live. After listening to Herta's descriptions of Sweden from her visits before she moved there to get married, I dubbed it "the Promised Land."

"The stores are open on Sundays in Sweden? Herta, it's the Promised Land!" I would exclaim, as I imagined what it must be like to be able to do your shopping on a Sunday. (All stores except those at major train stations and the airport are closed on Sunday in Austria.)

My first visit to Sweden in January confirmed my already firm belief in its Promised Land-ness. Not only are stores open on Sunday, but there are so many 7-Elevens that you'd think you were in a U.S. city, and Ben and Jerry's ice cream is available in many stores. Add on top of that the fact that most Swedes are very friendly and happy to speak English with you, and you might as well add Sweden to the list of Top 10 Best Ever Places to Live in Europe. And, as the crowning cherry to the hot fudge sundae that IS Sweden, I discovered a delightful new breakfast dish on the breakfast buffet at my hotel: plain/natural yogurt topped with crunchy cereal and honey. Does it GET more Promised Land than that?

While I'm perfectly happy in Austria, which has its own perks and lovely cultural aspects, it's like a breath of fresh air to visit a place that has some of the creature comforts that I miss from home, as well as a people that I would venture to say are even more genuinely friendly and helpful than my well-loved South (southeastern U.S., that is). Austrians, while noted for their cozy wine taverns and cafes, aren't exactly known for great customer service (and I've heard Austrians say so; this isn't a snobbish ex-pat sentiment).

So, Sweden, I hereby dub thee the Promised Land of Europe! May you continue to bear your title well.

No comments:

Post a Comment